Sunday, November 14, 2010

DETERMINATION, the key to life...


Today's post  is a little late being written and posted for reasons that you will learn about once you read further.

I was originally going to blog about an individual from the Trans Siberian Orchestra, but things didn't work out as I hoped, through nobody's fault.  But after last night's events I thought I would change today's blog...

I have been going to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra concert since I was 5 years old.  It was a family tradition that we looked forward to each year.  (mostly my mom:)  After I was diagnosed with epilepsy in 2008 I haven't been back to a concert.  We weren't sure if the flashing lights and lazers would be a trigger for me or not.

This year I was DETERMINED to go to their concert.  I was DETERMINED to prove that I could live life and do the things I enjoy, even if there is a risk of having a seizure.  I was DETERMINED to prove to myself that I could go to a concert with flashing lights and not be affected.  I was DETERMINED to not let epilepsy have me!

The concert was flabbergasting.  I enjoyed watching Roddy Chong, the violinist.  I don't think he stopped smiling for the entire 3 hours of the concert and dude can rock the violin like nobody's business.  I also enjoyed watching my favorite drummer, Jeff Plate. He's been a source of inspiration to me with wanting to learn to play the drums and keys.  It was amazing watching his technique with the drums- nobody plays better than Jeff.

I did ok during the concert, the flashing lights didn't bother me at all.  Of course, the REEAAALLLY tall guy in front of me did an awesome job at blocking a lot of the spot lights from shining in my face (thanks, tall man!).

Unfortunately, the night did not end on a happy note (no pun intended).  I did end up having a seizure 3 hours after leaving the concert.  But, we found out that 2 of my dogs may have the ability to alert me, as they both started barking right before the seizure.  During the seizure, they were both licking my face, neck, ears, and mouth. :X  My arm was also drenched with doggie spit so I think they were licking my arm or mouthing it during the seizure.  If you know Echo (which many of you have read about), this is pretty awesome because up till now the only things he has ever alerted to were: food, shadows, and squirrels. (and my cat)

This probably will not stop me from attending future concerts or living my life to the fullest.  Seizures Suck and that's a fact but I don't have to let it control my life.

Love,
Kaitlin <3

PS  GO LIVE LIFE LIKE DANNY DID!

6 comments:

  1. Kaitlin, I am so happy that you enjoyed yourself. It is obvious that epilepsy will never get in the way of you enjoying your life. I think that you can teach people a lot, and you ARE doing that. You are an amazing young lady and I am really in awe of your attitude and all the efforts you bring to Epilepsy Awareness! Keep up the good work Kaitlin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I protected Meghan from all flashing lights for so long, knowing this was a trigger for her. Even the sun hitting the ocean waves acting much like a direct strobe light to her brain. I have found that sunglasses are the key. She wears them in the car, outside, at the beach...you know all the places you should. But she also wears them at the haunted hay rides and roller skating. Soon we will try it at the movies. Meghan has not been to a movie in more then 5 years. Keep up the great work, and know you are not alone..ever. Stacie and Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaitlin-
    Your perseverance is so admirable. I am happy to hear the dogs are responding. I am sorry you had seizures last night- let's all keep working to prevent them. I know I will do my best!
    Warm Regards,
    Mary Duffy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaitlin,

    You never cease to amaze me with your outlook on life. You have been a source of inspiration to me and many others. Keep on doing what you're doing, girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is what I usually do. Can get through something A.O.K but can tell if not going to be good night....after home and things calm down and back to normal that is when they like to hit me. Have never had one that know of in public places except hosp. Weird eh. Can take, although don't like to as usually a trigger for me, go in a mall and just the people rushing all over will do it for me. Once again it is after the fact and the brain calms down and back home in own environment that a seizure will hit but good. Therefore just stay away from malls unless emergency.
    Stay warm, keep healthy, keep smiling
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pleased to report that my neurologist does NOT feel the lights from the concert provoked my seizure. (told ya so!) It was just one of those flukes. So... I will be attending future TSO concerts!

    Love,
    Kaitlin

    ReplyDelete