Friday, November 12, 2010

Eden's Story

I was diagnosed Epilepsy at the age of three or four. How it started we don’t know. But living with it sure hasn’t been easy. It’s been many trips to hospitals for many EEGs done as a kid and still to this day, have some done when needed. In grade school, I wore a helmet. I would be talking and suddenly drop to the floor in the middle of what I would be saying and more often than not spilt my chin open. Same place every time and then I would get up and start talking again right from where I left off. The types of seizures I have include absence seizures, tonic-clonic seizures, and petit mal seizures. The pills I took for my seizures made me drowsy in school, and since I was on a few different kinds, I think that was one of the unwanted side effects. My seizures in school didn’t help make the experience easy or fun. High School wasn’t always that easy. But then who said High School was? I guess I could have found a way to get out there more, but I pretty much kept to myself.

Now driving is a big thing for me. My two older sisters can drive, but me-no. That would not be safe for anyone. I don’t know when a seizure is coming on. At work recently; I was having petit mal seizures on and off all week. I thought, “Well since these are just the little ones I don’t need to tell anyone about these.” I should have, because later on I did land in the hospital because my condition did get worse.

It’s been tough at times, but I’ve been lucky to have help of my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment