Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Four Legged Heroes

We cannot possibly do a blog-a-thon for epilepsy awareness month without giving mention to some four legged animals who, amazingly, are able to alert their owners of impending seizures.

Did you know that even though most seizure alert/response animals are DOGS, there are quite a few other furry friends that are able to alert their owner to in impending seizure? I have a facebook friend who let her daughter adopt a cat from the SPCA. Turns out, this cat has thanked this family in a way you would never imagine.

When her daughter is going to have a seizure, the cat will sit next to her and start meowing rather loudly. Even after the seizure is over, the cat has been known to curl up next to her with his paw on her, and just lay there.

According to my friend, the cat and her daughter seem to have this special bond which is pretty evident in some of the pictures I've browsed through. I've seen this cat "stuffed" into a doll stroller just hanging out and puurrfectly content to be with his owner. I've also seen pictures of this big, orange tabby colored in blue and pink. When I asked what that picture was about, my friend told me how her daughter "got bored" and colored the cat. I inquired if the cat put up a fight, and my friend said no, he was actually purring. :)

Just goes to show that sometimes man's best friend isn't always a dog...






2 comments:

  1. sorry for not donating- I have had seizures for 46 yrs and live on Social Security disability - I just don't have it. Good luck to everyone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,

    I am very sorry to hear that you have been living with seizures for 46 years. Simply put, that sucks. Please know the purpose of my blog is not to ask for donations but to spread epilepsy awareness. Someday, our efforts will make a difference so people don't have to live with this disorder their whole life. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I hope you are doing well.

    Love,
    Kaitlin

    ReplyDelete