Monday, January 17, 2011

Echo, Service Dog in Training?

Echo, my Australian Shepherd




When I was first diagnosed with epilepsy my dad mentioned we should get a seizure dog.  A seizure dog can be trained to respond to seizures and may even have the ability to alert to an oncoming seizure.  My mom didn't think a seizure dog was needed because in the beginning my seizures seemed to be well controlled.


We got Echo last year as a family pet and had no intention of trying to train him to be my seizure dog.  He's been a great addition to our family.  Over the summer my seizure type changed and I began having more seizures.  Fortunately they seem to be simple partials and present as stomach pain, nausea, vomiting.  In November I had an unwitnessed seizure. 2 hours before the seizure happened, Echo would not leave me alone.  He kept jumping on me and following me around the house.  We didn't think anything of it and I left to see a movie.  When I came home, the same thing happened.  Echo kept jumping on me and wouldn't leave me alone and even started barking at me.  Within 30 minutes I had a seizure.


A few weeks ago I was at my friends house when I had another seizure.  I came home and as soon as I walked in the door Echo started jumping on me.  He followed me everywhere until I laid down on the couch and then he sniffed me and laid down next to me on the floor.  I didn't tell my parents, but while laying on the couch my stomach started hurting again and I got nauseated.  That was probably another seizure.


We made a family decision this evening that we will invest the time and energy into trying to train Echo to be a seizure alert/response dog.  He seems to already alert so we will need to work on other training with him. This will be a huge undertaking for us because we really do not have any experience in training. 


My mom said she would feel better when I go out if I had a seizure dog with me.  She knows that it's not always possible for my friends to go with me and a seizure dog would be peace of mind for her.


I know if anyone can do it, my family can.  I will keep you updated on our progress through this blog.


Love,
Kaitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment