Sunday, April 10, 2011

Candid Talk With Kait

Over the next few weeks I will be taking some time to answer some questions that others have asked regarding epilepsy.  My goal is to help people affected by epilepsy and help them realize that life doesn't have to change all that much.

QUESTION  #1:  What's it like having epilepsy?

KAITLIN'S ANSWER:  Having epilepsy doesn't feel any different then when I didn't have it.  I am still me.  I take medicine every day to control my seizures.  It's important that I take my medicine every day, on time, so I don't have break through seizures.  My mom tries to get me to eat healthier, but I'm a picky eater so that's a challenge.  I have cut down on processed foods (JUNK FOOD and FAST FOOD) and have also decreased the caffiene and sugar intake.  I also make sure I get plenty of rest.  I still like everything I liked before my diagnosis such as: art, music (drums and piano), video games, swimming, roller coasters, and being with my friends.  Epilepsy doesn't change how I feel or what I like, it's simply something I have that makes me unique.  1 in 100 people will be diagnosed with epilepsy.  I am 1.  I think that makes me pretty darn special.  I refuse to let epilepsy control me, I do the best I can to control it, and that's all I can do.  I refuse to be afraid of having seizures. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kaitlin,
    My son Adam is 10 years old and is also non-verbal. He has mostly partial complex but also has tonic/clonic, absence, drop and frontal lobe seizures. I wish I knew what it felt like to have a seizure. Do you know they are coming on and do you remember that it happened? I am sure they must be exhausting and I can only imagine that it must be very hard on your muscles as well. Your awesome Kaitlin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sue,

    Thank you for leaving a comment. I will answer your questions in my next blog post tomorrow. <3

    ReplyDelete