Friday, April 29, 2011

Chelsea's Legacy



This week I was privileged to attend the annual Chelsea Hutchison Foundation dinner and silent auction.  Chelsea passed away unexpectedly from SUDEP two years ago.  She was only 16 years old.  Since then her parents have started the Chelsea Hutchison Foundation in memory of Chelsea.  They raise awareness about SUDEP, give grants to people who are getting a seizure alert/response dog, and pay for EMFIT movement monitors for those in need of one.  The benefit this week, from what I hear, reached it's goal of raising 50K.

I was invited to attend this event and tell my story.  I am honored to be part of such a great foundation and I am leaving Colorado today with a promise to myself to work harder at raising epilepsy awareness and money for this foundation.

I have met so many awesome people this week, most of which I know from facebook.  This week has been nothing short of amazing. 
Alice, a seizure alert/response dog who alerted to my seizure at the event.

Me and Julie, Chelsea's mom.
Me with Robert and his seizure alert/response dog, Patches.



I also got to meet my new puppy that will be trained as my seizure response dog.

I am sad that we are leaving Colorado today but I am looking forward to seeing all of these wonderful people in less than 2 months.

Chelsea must be smiling down from her heavenly view, happy at the people she is bringing together...

2 comments:

  1. Wow! It's so great to meet another person doing what I am! My blog is about raising Epilepsy awareness. My sister and I were diagnosed several years ago, and now I'm an advocate for lead singer of Evanescence, Amy Lee,'s "Out of the Shadows" Epilepsy Awareness foundation. I would love it if you would check out my site.
    www.xanga.com/outoftheshadowssupporter <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kaitlyn it is Naomy, I dont't know if you remember me, I am Julies daughter, I saw you at the event and I wanted to say thanks for what you do for us

    ReplyDelete