Friday, March 1, 2013

Six Degrees...

Last night, I had the opportunity to meet one of my favorite people for dinner, Julie Hutchison of the Chelsea Hutchison Foundation.  The evening was made even more special when some mutual friends of ours, responding to a secret invitation (and surprising Julie completely), showed up and joined us for the evening.

As I sat there looking around at the faces that surrounded me, I couldn't help but think how small our world really is.  I overheard Steve mention something about "The Six Degrees of Separation", and it got me thinking...how had I met all the people sitting around us?  Who or what had brought us all together?  What links did we share with one another?  And what links were we making this very night?

With the help of my family (especially my amazing and talented brother, Brandon Carbaugh), I'm launching into a new project.  I'd like to examine the degrees of separation within our epilepsy community: to find our links, and trace the bigger picture.

I've decided to place Chelsea Hutchison as the center hub of this picture.  While Chelsea is no longer with us in person, her presence can be felt in the links we share.  After all, if not for her, would we have shared such a great evening with so many friends?  So, I would like to use Chelsea as the starting point, and discover where our links go from there.




What we want YOU to do--by comment, email, or facebook--is tell us who drew you into the Chelsea Hutchison Foundation.  I'd like to discover the shape of this vast web we're all a part of, and put it all together into an infographic or a short youtube video.

I hope that by understanding the nature of the bonds between us, we can help to strengthen them...and maybe even form a few new ones!

You can email me at: kaitlinscauze@comcast.net


~~~Kaitlin

11 comments:

  1. We found Julie by our friend Caitlin Howell

    Amanda & Jeremy Huston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the lucky one God chose to be Chelsea's Mother!! I'm thankful for every moment I had with her. "It wasn't long enough together, but was long enough to last forever."

    ReplyDelete
  3. We met Julie and Doug through another dog "trainer" and have stayed glued together ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol and Steven Shafran met Julie and Chelsea in Colorado. Last year we learned about Chelsea and the Foundation. Since March 2012 we have established the Winchester Chapter of the Chelsea Hutchison Foundation. We hosted the first Annual Walk for Chelsea and now planning the second one on Sept 22, 2013 outside of Winchester,VA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we met julie and doug through Kim's story being told and by other great friends that we have met. They are amazing people as well as everyone else we have met!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We met Julie because we train Service Animals. Both Julie and Chelsea Hutchison have had a impact on our lives and the companies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the stories I could tell!!! You, my dear, have inspired me beyond belief just like Chelsea does! There is a song...counting crows "Accidentally In Love"..."These lines of lightning mean we're never alone." Anyway, I think of you and Chelsea everytime I hear this song on my ipod! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I met Julie at the San Diego Epilepsy Foundation's annual fundraiser, Gingerbread City, last December. She came as a guest of the Foundation (I am a board member) and Cindy Mitchell attended as my guest. Prior to that I had become "friends" with Julie, Cindy, Louise and many others who I am sure will post here via my blogs which have appeared on the EFA site and my book Missing Michael. My son Michael also has a service dog named Katie. We LOVE what she has done for Michael and our family. I applaud what you are doing Kaitlin. This may be TMI but the circle is large, the stories touching, inspiring and heartbreaking and we need to continue to spread awareness and understanding through efforts like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe that (via Facebook of course) one of the first people in our community I "met" was actually you, Kaitlin, back when your family was hoping to train Echo as your seizure dog. Since my family dog as a kid was an extremely loving, extremely large (80 pound) Australian with similar markings as Echo I found that very fascinating. I "met" (via Facebook) Julie and learned of Chelsea and SUDEP, which no neurologist had mentioned before, through that.

    - Rhea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am part of the Epilepsy community and had the honor of meeting Louise Harris @ Yale while my daughter was having brain surgery. This began my life in a new direction. I started the "Shoreline Shakers" a support group in Southeastern CT (Thanks to Louise's advise and inspiration)

      Delete
  10. I came across the Chelsea Hutchison Foundation when I was looking into getting my daughter a service dog. I have had the chance to meet Julie and Doug in person. I remember sitting down hearing Chealsea story and cring with them. The Hutchison have helps so many people with epilepsy. They are amazing people. Chelsea has really brought alot of us together.

    ReplyDelete