Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Memories...



Although we are not officially friends, I would like to introduce to you, my new friend, Nick.  Nick is a teenager with epilepsy.  His mom and my mom are friends on Facebook, and they offer one another support when needed.

Nick was given an English assignment to write a freestyle poem about a memory.  The following is the poem that Nick wrote:


My teacher asked me to write a poem,
A poem about a memory.
I chuckled a little at her request,
because my memories are so sketchy.
You see, I have seizures and they cause me to forget,
where I've been and things I've done.
And then there are the medicines, that finish off the job.
I remember things in bits and pieces,
not whole stories or events.
Like snapshots in an album,
my life in pictures.
A favorite toy.
A favorite childhood friend.
A girl I used to like.
A Christmas gift.
A summer swim.
My mom's lasagna.
Playing with my brother and sister.
Both of my Grandmother's who have passed away.
Snapshots of my 16 years, locked away inside of my head.
I know they're in there somewhere,
I try not to let it bother me, because I know that what my brain
can't recall,
My heart remembers.


by: Nicholas Fuerte


Nick is going through some difficult times right now, and I bet he would LOVE to read some positive comments.  Please take a few moments and leave Nick a comment, let him know what you thought about his poem.  And Nick, I'm still waiting for your friend request;)

9 comments:

  1. AWESOME and AMAZING NICK! You are a blessing and a gift NEVER GIVE UP and keep writing you have a talent in that so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick- Thank you for giving me permission to post your poem. And thank you for sharing:) Keep on advocating, we need people like you to help us get our voices heard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know EXACTLY how you feel, Nick! I am 36 years old, my seizures started in my twenties. Now I have teachers and 'friends' from high school walk up to me and say "Hi! how are you?" and I have no clue who they are I just know that I should know. Some memories are still picture perfect and others so vague. My Daddy (yes, at 36 he is still my Daddy) describes it so perfectly - I am a filing cabinet full of information... but somebody shook it violently and mixed up all of the files. The information is all still there - just not always filed in the right folder.
    For me I have found that taking lots and lots of pictures is extremely helpful!
    And on a positive note - I do still remember the lyrics to every song I've ever known! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello this Nick's mom Lisa. Kaitlin thank you for posting Nick's poem. Nick hasn't been on facebook as he has had a busy few days, he is at school wearing a 48 hour ambulatory EEG and has his Hospital Homebound English class this afternoon. I am sure as soon as he has a minute he will send that friend request :) I would like to thank everyone for your kind comments your and support for Nick. Kaitlin you are an inspiration. Thanks again :)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. That poem is absolutely beautiful, Nick! Very nicely written and very moving. So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick- my husband tells me the same thing often. You took those feelings and put them into words beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had seizures from birth til about age 12. They went away for about 20 yrs and then they came back. I was walking home and was about to cross from the grass to the sidewalk and I blacked out. next thing I knew, I was on an ambulance hooked up to machines and a dr wearing turquoise scrubs was above me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!! What an amazing talent you are! I've had epilepsy for over twenty years, you've spoken so lucidly and succinctly about it that it's very touching to read. I can totally relate to it, you are a brilliant poet! take good care of yourself,I do hope you start feeling a bit better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I posted it on my personal page and my 2 ministry pages....Team Pink Ribbons! Way to go Nick!

    ReplyDelete