Monday, April 30, 2012

Summer Safety



If you are anything like my family, you love the summer because of the long summer days spent at the pool.  But... when you have epilepsy, or you live with someone with epilepsy, swimming can become a stressful or even dangerous activity.

I'm not going to tell you that you should or shouldn't go swimming.  I will tell you that I still like to go swimming and we do it often.  Whether we go to our local swim club for a fun, sun filled day; or whether we go to our local water park- swimming is NOT something I can give up because of my epilepsy.

Here are some safety tips to help make pool season less stressful:

1. If swimming at a local pool, wear a bright bathing suit so it's easier to be seen.  This is what I do so my parents have an easier time seeing me if I am swimming with my friends.

2. Let the lifeguard know that you have seizures.  They can keep an extra set of eyes on you.

3. NEVER swim alone. NEVER. EVER. !

4. Wear a life jacket. (I don't wear a life jacket at our local pool, but I do wear one when I go in the wave pool at the water park).  Honestly, this is something I HATED because my friends didn't wear them.  I felt like I was different for having to wear one.  Then one day, my friends put one on too just so I wouldn't feel bad.  Sometimes, if my parents are right there in the wave pool, I don't wear one.  My parents are assuming the responsibility should a seizure occur...

5.  Tell your friends you are swimming with that you have seizures.  Explain what your seizures look like so they can help you if needed.

6.  Don't swim in lakes or the ocean unless you are wearing a life jacket. Period.

If a person has a seizure in the water:

1. Support their head to keep their face out of water.

2. Get them to safety (land)

3. Check airway and breathing, start CPR if needed and call 911. If CPR is not needed, position the person on their side until they wake up.



Be smart. Be safe. And enjoy your summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment