Monday, April 23, 2012

Who Am I?

getting ready for my dance recital, 6 months before my first seizure


goofing with my brother, one month before my first seizure




4 hours after my first seizure





two months after my first seizure



starting Kaitlin's Cauze, 4 months after my diagnosis of epilepsy



pitching in softball 6 months after my diagnosis of epilepsy



riding roller coasters 2 years after my diagnosis of epilepsy









and finally...


























me today
graduating intermediate training class with my service dog in training







Take a good, long look at all of these pictures.  Do you see anything different from picture to picture?  Can you tell the difference between the "before" epilepsy and the "after" epilepsy pictures?  No?  That's because I'm still the same person I was BEFORE I was diagnosed.  Nothing has changed about me, except I now have epilepsy.  I don't look different nor do I act different (unless I'm actually having a seizure:).  I am still ME. 

I am still a daughter, a sister, a grand daughter, a niece, a cousin, and a friend.  I still like chicken nuggets, hotdogs, pizza, tacos, and ice-cream.  (I'm still a picky eater too:)  I can still play sports, swim, play in the snow, ride horses, and ride roller coasters.

I still get good grades, but I do work harder to get them.  I can still play drums and keyboard.  And I can still sculpt in my weekly art class.

There is no need to feel sorry for me or treat me any differently.  What I have is not contagioius.

People with epilepsy are no different than people without epilepsy.  People with epilepsy are no different than people with other disorders or illnesses.  In fact, people with epilepsy are doing amazing things every single day.

Epilepsy is one of those prevalant disorders; chances are at some point in your life, you will know someone who has seizures.  1 in 10 people will have at least one seizure in their life and another staggering 1 in 26 people will go on to have epilepsy.  That one person could be you, your best friend, your family member, your co-worker...

Learn the facts about epilepsy because you NEVER know when you may be called upon to help someone who is having a seizure.







No comments:

Post a Comment