Saturday, August 14, 2010

Living healthy with epilepsy

It's very important for me to live a healthy life style in an effort to keep my seizures under control. Living healthy is something I have control over which ultimately could control my seizures, this makes me feel like I have control over my epilepsy.

Sleep deprivation is a known seizure trigger for many of us with epilepsy. I make sure I get at least 8 to 10 hours of sleep each night. My mom also makes sure I get my rest by not allowing me to have 2 back to back sleep overs so I can have a night to catch up on my sleep. My parents also make sure I don't have 2 big days in a row without a day in between to rest. When I am extra tired I have myoclonic twitches- my arms, shoulders, and legs become "twitchy" as I am falling asleep.

I take my medicine as instructed by my doctor. For me this means twice a day- at 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. I don't deviate from this schedule too much, it's important to keep the medicine at the correct level in my blood stream at all times to avoid seizures. Even if you feel like your seizures are under control you should NEVER stop taking your medicine unless your doctor tells you to do so. Stopping your medicine could cause seizures to occur. Missing a dose of your medicine could also cause a seizure. That happened to me ONCE.

My mom does not allow me to drink a lot of caffiene. Caffiene could cause an increase in the number of seizures a person has. She also makes sure I eat semi-healthy. I am a very picky eater but am getting better. Eating a balanced diet is important for everyone anyway. I don't like a lot of vegetables so my mom found ways to make sure I get my servings of veggies each day.

I'm not perfect with my eating habits, but I am working on it. I take a multi-vitamin made for teenage girls once a day to supplement what I don't get in eating. Word of advice, don't take your multi-vitamin on an empty stomach as you could get sick. I have to take mine after I eat to avoid being sick.

Obviously, I don't do drugs or drink alcohol. Nobody should, especially those with epilepsy. Both drugs and alcohol can trigger seizures, not to mention fry your brain cells.

I avoid strobe lights and lazers but we're not sure if this is a trigger for me or not. Last December I went on a ride that had lazers and strobe lights and I was fine. However... if you put any type of toy gun in my mom's hands (dart gun, water gun, or lazer gun) she will ultimately revert to being a kid again. That ride was no exception and the minute we rounded the corner away from the ride attendants she pointed the lazer at my dad and said something like "you'll never take me alive..." I think she intentionally distracted me so I wouldn't look at the lazers and strobe lights. I am going to ask my doctor if I can go to a concert in November. Hopefully, she'll say it's ok.

I also get plenty of exercise by playing softball in the spring and fall, by swimming in the summer, and by running with my dog during agility. Exercise won't keep me from having seizures but it gives me something to do and makes me feel good about myself.
Most importantly I find reasons to laugh. Laughing is good for everyone. If you don't believe me, just google it. :D









3 comments:

  1. Kait-- There are many, many things I love about you. I love the fact that you're easy going, polite and think of others. I LOVE that! I also love that every picture of you has such a brilliant, beautiful smile. You're always smiling! Every time I see a picture of you - and your smile, it makes me smile! Always stay the way you are -- and always smile! You're beautiful!!

    I love you!!
    Aunt Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with aunt lisa you are always smiling and it makes me smile. plus that is so true about aunt kim thats why we love her

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi kaitlin,thanks for this page,i have epilepsy and tend to hate myself because of it you made me smile.being younger than me also helped ,i always take it as old age,im 49 you will help me think of my wife and children more,ilove them sooo much thank you!

    ReplyDelete